Sunday, April 2, 2017

Bloom Ball Reports


Okay I'll admit it, I LOVE creative hands on projects! I've blogged about it before!  Why? Because growing up,  my teachers always assigned the same kind of book reports and projects, which never included creative activities. It was always "read the book and write a report about it". BORING! 

When I became a teacher, I swore I'd NEVER assign a book report or project that was strictly a two or three page written report. 

Yes, a report should have written parts, so teachers can determine if students understand how to apply reading strategies and comprehend what they read. A combination written and hands on project allows students, like I was, to not only write, but to also do hands on, creative projects that demonstrate their talents.

Some of the creative projects students can do include:

dioramas
drawings, illustrations
build models
comic strips, cartoons
ceramics
batik
wood carvings
original computer generated pictures
mini books
design costumes for book characters
write music or lyrics for songs
use unusual materials to design posters (yarn, glitter, aluminum foil, etc)
And the list goes on and on and on!

Over the years, I developed my Bloom Ball report project that requires students to draw illustrations on templates and glue them together. I had searched for templates on the Web, but never found any that worked, so I designed my own. 

The first Bloom Ball report students should do, is the biography report. This fun report give students the opportunity to "talk" about themselves and highlight certain times of their lives. I always do this report at the beginning of the year, so students can get to know each other. It's a perfect time have them work in small groups so they can talk among themselves while they write, draw, cut and paste!

Once the balls are completed, they can be hung from the ceiling where they can stay, as a permanent display all year round!    
I love teachers' comments about them that can be read below the description on my store page. 

The book report part of the project, involves designing the templates based on a book that involves Common Core aligned written parts, combined with art work


Included is everything needed to create colorful displays for your classroom

 while encouraging higher level thinking. 
Students will have fun working in groups to create their reports. 

There are instructions/rubrics for a fiction book report as well as a bio report.

Templates included are two sizes, in black and white and in color. 
Detailed instructions demonstrate how to put these displays together. 

Use for ELA, science and social studies reports.

 High school teachers are using them for literature reports, science and history reports! 
I suggest playing some soft background music as the kids work on these reports. 
It creates a nice atmosphere for learning!
Best for grades 4 and up. 
Fun!


Easy instructions with visuals!


Bloom Ball Reports




ENJOY!

Ruth



No comments:

Post a Comment