Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Teacher Resources

I've saved soooooo many great teaching sites that I thought I'd share them.  The baby you see here is an endangered species. Sure would love to have those LONG legs! 
Click on the link to find out what this gorgeous baby is. 

When I was little, I always thought that an artist painted the big cats’ faces. The beauty of their coloring takes my breath away. This cheetah is a perfect example of nature’s artwork.
I did an endangered animal project two years ago with my kids. Everyone had their own laptop and they had to research an animal of their choosing. My project made the news! Kids dressed up in lab coats, role playing as researchers! Taking notes furiously about what they were observing and learning! Focused, focused, focused! They all walked around school that week dressed in their lab attire with name tags like Dr. So and So. 
 The Smithsonian National Zoo site is where kids can watch live cams of animals. 

We watched a baby kiwi hatch one day. The kids were on the edges of their seats the entire time. Comments were… “Why is it taking so long for the baby kiwi to hatch?”
I said.. Well if you were in the center of a block of cement and wanted to get out, would it be easy?”  

We waited and waited and waited. You could have heard a pin drop! The struggle was astounding. A little beak.. Rest time! Then POP! The little bird emerged and CHEERS filled my classroom AND THE HALL!  The kids didn’t want to leave my room to go to their next class!  The other teachers weren’t happy. Hey! Isn’t that what learning is all about??



This is an incredible resource. A library of over 2,600 videos! Scroll down and look at all the videos.  Salman Kahn created this site as a whim and it’s gone viral. He’s appeared on television and talk shows. I can guarantee that you’ll spend a LOT of time, watching his lessons! Math, Science, History, Art and more.  High school teachers take note! TONS of subjects! Developmental Math too! Great videos for kids to review their facts and much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment