Sunday, August 5, 2012

Subjects and Predicates

I remember my fifth grade teacher required us to state our answers in complete sentences. I'm not referring to writing our answers in complete sentences. She would make us turn a question around and answer her orally in a full sentence. I learned a valuable lesson from her and throughout my teacher career have always insisted my students do the same. 

These days everything is quick and easy. Need a cake for a party? Buy a boxed cake mix. Need to change the channel on the television? Grab the remote instead of getting up to change it. So why not answer questions with a quick "yes" or "no"? 

Is everything quick and easy in our classrooms? Do we require kids to give us oral answers in complete sentences or do we accept one word answers so we can move on to the next topic? Are we too stressed out because we're required to meet goals in all subjects by the end of the year and it  just doesn't seem like we'll be able to cover all the material we're supposed to? Have our expectations changed?

Oral response is just as important as written response. In my opinion, speaking in complete sentences should be required in schools. 

For that reason I created a subject and predicate packet of ready to print student worksheets with my instructions. Hopefully, teachers will stress the importance of written and oral responses as they present these to their students and require they give their oral responses using complete subjects and predicates! :)

photo of Subjects and Predicates PDF TeachersPayTeachers.com



2 comments:

  1. I agree with your comments about helping students improve oral language. This is an area I need to improve upon. Great point!

    Kelly
    Teaching Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly! It's so difficult when we teachers are looking for quick answers, isn't it? We're all so pressured to fit everything so we meet our goals. Thanks for your comment :) Have a great year!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete