Sunday, June 23, 2013

Horse Stories and a Teacher Brain Break

Horses have always held a special place in my heart. I remember reading The Black Stallion by Walter Farley, Black Beauty and any other horse book I could get my hands on.

These are wonderful summer break books for kids and adults. 


First published in 1941, Walter Farley's best-selling novel for young readers is the triumphant tale of a boy and a wild horse. From Alec Ramsay and the Black's first meeting on an ill-fated ship to their adventures on a desert island and their eventual rescue, this beloved story will hold the rapt attention of readers new and old.
 
Young Alec Ramsay is shipwrecked on a desert island with a horse destined to play an important part in his life. 

photo of The Black Stallion by Walter Farley, summer reading, books for kids, Teacher Park, Ruth S.




I wondered if this next book was written by the daughter of Walter Farley who wrote The Black Stallion but I couldn't find the connection. 


When 13-year-old Samantha returns home to her family's cattle ranch in Nevada, she's worried. She moved away two years ago to recover from a bad fall off her beloved mustang, Blackie, and she's still not sure she can get back in the saddle. Her new colt doesn't seem to like her, and the other ranchers treat her like the boss's spoiled daughter, and Blackie has been missing since that fateful day.
 
But that's just the beginning.



photo of Phantom Stallion, Farley, summer reading, horse books, Teacher Park, Ruth S.



Nobody could capture the Phantom. She was the wildest mare on Assateague Island. They said she was like the wind, that the white "map" on her shoulders was her mark of freedom.

Paul and Maureen Beebe had their hearts set on owning her. They were itching to buy and tame her, and worked hard to earn the money that she would cost. But the roundup men had tried to capture her and for two years she had escaped them....


photo of Horse  Books, Misty of Chincoteqgue, Marguerite Henry, Teacher Park, Ruth S.


TEACHER BRAIN BREAK!!
Relax and enjoy!

This video is breathtaking! 
Poetry in Motion!

              The KFPS Royal Friesian Horse




These are the horses of the Knights of old .. Have your sound on... 

photo of Friesian horses, Teacher Park, Ruth S.
















13 comments:

  1. It's hard to believe these books have been around for so long. They are truly classics. I enjoyed the video. They are such majestic creatures.

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda! I totally agree about these horse stories being classics. I couldn't resist sharing the video. The music fits perfectly with the Freisians' gate. High stepping gorgeous animals!
      So nice of you to comment about my post. :)

      Ruth

      Delete
  2. I'm with you. I read all these horse books as a child also. Still love them!
    susanlulu@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan.. I have copies of these books and the covers show their age. I tell my students that if a book's cover is a bit tattered, it means that MANY people read and loved it. Sometimes I think they're missing out on so many good fiction books.. The trend seems to be fantasy these days and it's difficult to convince them there's "more out there" than fantasy. :)
      Thanks so much for your comment!
      Ruth

      Delete
  3. Check out my unit on The Silver Brumby ( Famous Australian horse tale) on TPT

    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Silver-Brumby-563063

    email me and I'll send you a copy free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony! Thanks so much! I'll check it out! I've never heard of that horse so this will be fun reading about another famous one! Thanks for stopping by!
      Ruth

      Delete
  4. When my children were young, we took several trips to Chincoteague Island to vacation. Assateague is a National Seashore, with nature programs provided by the park rangers, and it's oh so beautiful! (We even had the chance to enjoy the park rangers' beach bonfire one balmy night where the fire danced and the waves crashed behind us. ) The ponies are still there, so beautiful and so wild. It really is a magical place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! What a beautiful description of Chincoteague Island and the National Seashore! I can vividly picture that bonfire with the wild waves crashing behind you! You've made me want to visit that area even more now! Your family must have such wonderful memories of it. Thanks so much for stopping by.
      Ruth

      Delete
  5. Thank you for linking up on our blog hop. I would really appreciate if you linked back to the blog hop or included the blog hop as a new post. You will be amazed at the traffic you will receive if you do! A Teacher Without A Class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my!! I loved linking up on your blog hop! I'm so sorry I forgot to write a post! I'm adding the button and more.
      Ruth

      Delete
  6. You have shared some of my all time favorite horse stories as a kid. I read everything I could get my hands on by Margaret Henry! If you still like horse stories, you might want to check out Wild Girl by Patricia Reilly Giff. I just read that one for this week's Fiction Friday. Happy reading!
    ♬Kay
    On the Trail of Learning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay! I was so hooked on those books. I read everything written by Marguerite Henry too! I've heard of Wild Girl and will definitely read it this summer. Thanks so much for commenting and stopping by. :)
      Ruth

      Delete
  7. Hi Ciera! Thank you so much! I wish I could say I designed my blog! A friend gave it to me as a gift. She has a wonderful designer who did it for me. I was able to select colors and things for the top picture though. I'll check out your blog and follow you too! Thanks for stopping by!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete