Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Genre Favorites

Over the years, I've surveyed my students to see what kinds of books they love to read. I remember one day when my fifth grade teacher introduced Jack London's Call of the Wild by reading a chapter of it to us and I was hooked immediately! I became so engrossed in the story that I couldn't put it down. Buck was my hero and the memory of his struggle in the far north is still as vivid as it was back then.

This activity will give you a good idea of what genre your students love to read. Once they complete the worksheet, I have them share their thoughts about their favorite genre in small groups. I tally their results with the whole group to see what were the most and least favorites. My objective is to expose them to other genre via their peers which hopefully will convince them to explore other types of literature!  Click on the poster to see this packet. 



genre, Ruth S, novel study, literature, what's your favorite, realistic fiction, nonfiction, biography, historical fiction, autobiography, science fiction, literature circles

No comments:

Post a Comment